Dryer fires: What causes a dryer fire? – Find out more about Dryer Vent Cleaning
Clothes dryers are associated with approximately 15,600 fires annually, resulting in 20 deaths and 370 injuries.” – Consumer Products Safety Commission
Lint buildup in the dryer:
“Consumer product safety commission states there are 15,600 reported dryer fires each year”, however, we believe there are 100 times that amount that go UNREPORTED.
Lint is a like a tiny snow flake, by itself it is harmless but bunched together, it can be harmful. Lint is so small that it bypasses the lint filter housing in your clothes dryer and starts to build up inside of the dryer itself. This is the internal cavity of the dryer where you cannot access easily. Once this lint accumulates it can catch fire. So, it is recommended to have your dryer vent cleaned and the interior of your dryer.
We see this every week in our business, the lint inside of the dryer catches on fire but does not catch the house on fire. We get called in for a burning smell coming from the dryer, when we open it up, this is what we see.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Gas dryers with clogged dryer vents are even more dangerous than electric. If the dryer can’t exhaust the air to the outside, carbon monoxide poising can occur.
When a dryer vent becomes clogged, the moist air cannot be expelled correctly to the outside air and starts to condense inside of the line. When it becomes clogged, the moisture condenses into water, which can leak into your home and create damage and mold. We have taken up to a gallon of water out of some systems.
Excessive Energy Costs:
If you dryer cannot remove the hot/moist air to the outside correctly, it keeps the clothes from drying quickly, this can lead to longer drying times, hotter running dryers and more energy usage. It really pays to have your dryer ducts cleaned regularly.
For over 30 years, we have been serving PA. We are proud of our certifications from CSIA and NADCA and we are proud to share it. www.csia.org
We are members of the National Chimney Sweep Guild.
We are members of The Chimney Institute of America.
We are certified by NADCA, National Air Duct Cleaning Association.